Online Bachelor of Science in Speech and Hearing Science
Which degree are you most interested in?
The online Bachelor of Science in Speech and Hearing Science prepares students to pursue graduate study in speech-language pathology or audiology. Students will focus on normal speech, language, and hearing processes across the lifespan, with an increased focus on communication disorders in upper-division coursework.
The online BS in Speech and Hearing Science program entails a comprehensive curriculum that covers essential aspects of human communication. Courses are sequenced such that students first learn about normal speech, language, and hearing processes across the lifespan and then later build on this knowledge in courses focused on communication disorders. This degree provides the foundational knowledge required for graduate programs in Speech-Language Pathology, Audiology, and related programs in medical and educational fields.
In addition to preparing students for graduate clinical degree programs in Communication Disorders/Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology, the BS in Speech and Hearing Science provides knowledge that can be applied to research programs in language and cognition, education, auditory and language neuroscience, and translational genetics of communication. Students with a BS in Speech and Hearing Science can also pursue graduate degrees in other health-related or rehabilitation areas. The program curriculum also provides graduating students with the academic coursework required for Speech-Language Pathology Assistant (SLPA) licensure in Arizona. Graduating students from the BS program will also be well positioned to work as support personnel in health-related, education, or rehabilitation areas.
Developing the health workforce of the future:
The College of Health Solutions school is dedicated to designing focusing on addressing the world’s most pressing issues in health.
- In the fall 2016, the College of Health Solutions had 247 Barrett Honors scholars, 146 faculty, 5,813 students and 9 million in research expenditures
- Embedded partnerships in the community give students additional resources and networking opportunities including the Mayo Clinic, Barrow Neurological Institute, HonorHealth, Dignity Health, Health Care Sector Partnership and more
- $9 million in research expenditures
ASU’s College of Health Solutions has faculty with high-level expertise, in addition to cutting-edge approaches in research:
- Exploring mechanisms involved in the development of diabetes and cardiovascular disease
- Using advanced technology to monitor and promote healthy lifestyles
- Harnessing big data to improve patient outcomes
- Using state-of-the-art cognitive, behavioral and neuroscience techniques to study the components of human communication
- Discovering the impact of the environment and policy on food security and community health
Graduates with an ASU Online Bachelor of Science in Speech and Hearing Science have career opportunities illustrated in the following list. Career examples include but are not limited to: