Online Bachelor of Science in Health Education & Health Promotion
Which degree are you most interested in?
The B.S. in Health Education and Health Promotion, offered through ASU's School of Nutrition & Health Promotion, is designed for students interested in preparing to become a Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES). The CHES® designation signifies that an individual has met required academic preparation qualifications and has successfully passed the competency-based examination.
Students pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Health Education and Health Promotion will gain foundational knowledge in health promotion program planning, implementation, and evaluation, as well as CHES competencies and learn about specific health education strategies for effectively delivering community and school health education interventions. Students will develop an understanding of various areas addressed by Certified Health Education Specialists (see NCHEC.org), including:
- injury prevention
- violence prevention
- substance abuse prevention
- sexual health education
- emotional health education
- foundations of school health education
- social media and marketing in health education
- physical activity
- stress for chronic disease prevention, and more
Skills will be developed in the areas of assessing and understanding population based approaches to effective health education and promotion. Students will learn methods for helping people make healthy behavior changes and lessen unhealthy behaviors by addressing knowledge, attitudes, skills, and beliefs in various settings including:
- university wellness programs
- community health agencies
- hospitals and medical facilities
- insurance companies
- nonprofit disease prevention agencies
- private health care organizations
- state and county health departments
- wellness centers
- and various employee health promotion settings
The program also includes a Capstone applied project experience in a pre-professional setting.
ASU’s School of Nutrition and Health Promotion Achievements:
The School of Nutrition and Health Promotion, within the College of Health Solutions, is committed to rigorous, high caliber education for students in areas of health. The school is dedicated to designing research with the intent to promote a healthy lifestyle and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
- In the fall 2016, the College of Health Solutions had 247 Barrett Honors scholars, 146 faculty, 5,813 students and 9 million in research expenditures.
- #1 university in the U.S. for innovation
- ASU's online bachelor's programs rank No. 2 in the nation by U.S. News and World Report
ASU’s College of Health Solutions has faculty with high-level expertise, in addition to cutting-edge approaches in research:
- Exploring mechanisms involved in the development of diabetes and cardiovascular disease
- Using advanced technology to monitor and promote healthy lifestyles
- Harnessing big data to improve patient outcomes
- Using state-of-the-art cognitive, behavioral and neuroscience techniques to study the components of human communication
- Discovering the impact of the environment and policy on food security and community health
According to O*Net Online, employment in exercise and wellness, kinesiology, and healthy lifestyle promotion is expected to increase 19-37% from 2010 to 2020. Graduates with an ASU Online Bachelor of Science in Health Education and Health Promotion have career opportunities illustrated in the following list. Career examples include but are not limited to: