Online Bachelor of Science in Geographic Information Science
Which degree are you most interested in?
The online B.S. in Geographic Information Science is a unique STEM-based social science degree. Students will learn practical skills in GIS software, statistics, and computer programming within the context of real world applications. This online program is ideal for students interested in gaining marketable skills that allow them to address complex environmental and societal issues.
The online Bachelor of Science in Geographic Information Science program has been specifically designed by our renowned faculty to give students a unique educational experience, 100% online. The program provides students with key GIS skills that are then applied to investigating societal and scientific issues. The skills and knowledge acquired by students of the Geographic Information Science BS program prepares them for a number of dynamic careers within the field of GIS.
Students in the Geographic Information Science BS program begin their study by gaining strong core foundations in GIS software, statistics, and computer programming. Upper-division coursework within the major allow students to pursue deeper and more focused study in the core areas of GIS. Through related coursework students are able to apply a cross-section of the three GIS core foundations to address complex environmental and societal issues. In their final year, students have the opportunity to complete an internship, independent research, or a capstone seminar depending on the student's post-graduation plan.
The largest and most diverse unit at Arizona State University:
- Top 5 for best qualified graduates, according to Wall Street Journal.
- Top 20 for humanities research, according to the National Science Foundation
- 20,000 enrolled students, 89 undergraduate majors, 134 graduate degrees and 22 interdisciplinary schools and departments
- $115 million in research expenditures
- #1 most innovative university in the U.S.
From Royal Society and American Academy fellows to Marshall and Barry Goldwater Scholarship recipients, The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences is home to prestigious students and faculty members including:
- The Spatial Analysis Research Center (SPARC) is a GIS-focused interdisciplinary research group
- Dr. Stewart Fotheringham: Foundation Professor and SPARC Director
- Dr. Trisalyn Nelson: Foundation Professor and Director of SGSUP
Graduates with an ASU Online Bachelor of Science in Geographic Information Science have career opportunities illustrated in the following list. Career examples include but are not limited to: