Online Bachelor of Fine Arts in Art (Digital Photography)
Get program details
The Bachelor of Fine Arts in Art in Digital Photography at ASU is the first online program from a research 1 university or fine art college in the nation to offer a studio practice-based degree. Working with a faculty of professional artists, students have the opportunity to master technical, aesthetic and conceptual aspects of digital photography.
The ASU Online BFA in Art with a concentration in Digital Photography focuses on creative and expressive photography in its 21st century incarnations. The program is designed to foster unique creative practices and develop sophisticated visual literacy. Through practical assignments, students can create experiences as they engage with classmates and instructors across the world. Students complete these practical assignments by creating photographs in response to ideas introduced in the courses and their own ideas. Students will use PDFs and video to share their work. Upper division courses will provide the opportunity to further develop the introductory ideas and techniques and pursue individualized projects. The work that students produce is regularly critiqued by instructors on a critique platform. All classes will have at their core creation of images and critical exchange. Upon completing the degree, students will have a final portfolio, an artist statement, along with a community of peers and mentors, and a highly developed ability to give and receive critical feedback.
Graduates will be ready to begin careers and pursue graduate study in art and photography, they will also have the skills to excel in a wide range of related areas including: editorial, commercial and advertising photography, journalism, design, photo and art direction and editing, museum curation and gallery direction and many other fields that demand visual literacy, self-direction and creative and critical engagement.
Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts accolades:
- ASU’s Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts is the largest comprehensive design and arts school in the country.
- 5,000+ students, nearly 400 faculty members, 130 programs comprising of arts, media and engineering, design, film, dance and theatre and music.
- Ranked 20th among fine arts schools in the nation, ahead of Cornell University, Parsons School of Design and the University of California.
Home to world-class artists and designers who inspire students to shape the future. Herberger’s faculty research focuses on improving the human condition through creativity and art in the following areas:
- The Study of Creative Work
- Arts Entrepreneurship and Cultural Policy
- Arts Education and Arts-Integrated Education
- Design + Arts + Science + Engineering
- Arts and Design for Social Justice
- Creative Health Collaborations
- Community Engagement and Public Policy
Graduates with an ASU Online Bachelor of Fine Arts in Art (Digital Photography) have career opportunities illustrated in the following list. Career examples include but are not limited to:
All students are required to meet general university admission requirements.
Some programs may have additional requirements for admission.