Online Master of Science in Engineering in Software Engineering
Get program details
To learn more about this program, fill out the form below and check your email for information on next steps.
The Master of Science in Engineering with a concentration in Software Engineering offers specialized courses based on the fundamentals and principles of software engineering.
The program provides you with the knowledge and skills needed to work as a software engineer or software task leader on both large and small projects using either agile methodologies or formal CMMi approaches. The program addresses major software development methodologies, techniques, tools and processes for both developing and managing software projects. The program is instructed by appointed professors in the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering - School of Computing, Informatics & Decision Systems Engineering, who actively teach and research in the field of software engineering.
Top 25% of all accredited engineering programs in the nation
- ASU #2 for online undergraduate degree programs in the nation
- ASU #5 university in the nation for producing the best qualified graduates
- #8 engineering online programs for veterans (2019)
- #9 engineering online graduate programs (2019)
- #38 engineering undergraduate program - 22nd among public institutions
- #44 graduate program - 24th among public institutions
- 60 engineering student organizations and student professional societies give students leadership opportunities and hands-on experience
- Fulton Schools' 22,000+ students represent 135 countries, all 50 states, Washington, D.C., Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Ira A. Fulton offers a wide range of degree options. Students are engineers from day one–they don’t have to wait until they are juniors to be engineers.
CSE 543 Information Assurance and Security (3)
CSE 565 Software Verification and Validation, and Testing (3)
CSE 566 Software Project, Process and Quality Management (3)
Portfolio Option (0)
CSE 593 Applied Project (3)
According to U.S. News & World Report, Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering undergraduate degree programs are ranked in the top 25% percent of programs. Of the 320+ faculty members, the majority have been honored with the highest awards in their fields. Faculty milestones include:
- Nobel Laureate
- National Academy of Engineering members
- National Academy of Sciences members
- National Academy of Inventors members
- National Academy of Construction members
- More than 55 young investigator awards received in the last 10 years.
Graduates with an ASU Online MSE in engineering science with a software engineering concentration have career opportunities illustrated in the following list. Career examples include but are not limited to:
Applicants must fulfill the requirements of both the Graduate College and the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering.
Applicants are eligible to apply to the program if they have earned a bachelor's or master's degree in computer engineering, software engineering or a related field, from a regionally accredited institution.
Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in the last 60 credit hours of the student's first bachelor's degree program, or applicants must have a minimum of a 3.00 cumulative GPA (scale is 4.00 = "A") in the last 12 units of the postbaccalaureate transcript.
All applicants must submit:
- Graduate admission application and application fee
- Official transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
Additional Application Information
An applicant whose native language is not English (regardless of current residency) must provide proof of English proficiency.
Applicants must provide evidence of demonstrated expertise in the area of object-oriented programming, advanced data structures, algorithm design and algorithm analysis; maturity in high-level programming (required); and successful completion of Calculus I (a minimum requirement).
GRE scores are not required.
Graduates of non-U.S. institutions must satisfy admission requirements established by the ASU Graduate College.