An art concentration can shape your future by enabling you to study a particular area of interest within your undergraduate degree. These types of art degrees deliver in-depth explorations into distinct artistic disciplines, such as art history, digital photography and museum studies.
Earning an art degree online can lead to a fulfilling career with a multitude of employment options. You’ll have the opportunity to cultivate new skills under the guidance of experienced art professors and establish a network of professional mentors. Additionally, pursuing an undergraduate degree with an art concentration can allow you to:
- Analyze historical, cultural and symbolic context — then apply it on a larger scale.
- Be resourceful when solving problems on a limited budget.
- Familiarize yourself with experimenting and receiving constructive criticism.
- Harness your creative flow by bringing abstract concepts to life.
According to a study by Small Business Economics, art majors are likely to become entrepreneurs and innovators, as majoring in the arts more than doubles the likelihood of working in an entrepreneurial occupation.
ASU Online offers three art degrees:
- Bachelor of Arts in art with a concentration in art history.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in art with a concentration in digital photography.
- Bachelor of Arts in art with a concentration in museum studies.
These art concentrations share an overlapping foundation in art studies, as each one will allow you to develop creative thinking, decision-making, problem-solving, verbal communication and quantitative reasoning skills. However, each art concentration maintains a specific focus:
- Art history teaches you how to interpret, analyze and critique all forms of artwork.
- Digital photography refines your photographic eye, empowering you to conceptualize aesthetics and develop a portfolio.
- Museum studies explores the design, organization and ethics necessary for museum management.
To decide which online art major is right for you, review the courses and focus areas of each one. Then, select the type of art concentration that best aligns with your academic interests and professional goals. Pursuing your art degree at ASU Online will provide you the flexibility to complete your studies at a pace that accommodates your schedule while receiving the same advantages as on-campus learners.