As a biochemistry major you will learn about the chemical processes of living organisms. Discoveries of new drugs, the recognition and control of new pathogens, development of new catalysts for energy transformation, the production of new materials, and solutions to problems in food production and environmental remediation all depend upon a thorough grounding in this area.
The online program builds critical thinking and interdisciplinary, scientific problem-solving, that will prepare you to enter numerous scientific careers in chemical, pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries, government, healthcare, research and teaching. The program also prepares you as a competitive applicant to graduate schools in biochemistry and related sciences, and also to medical, dental or pharmacy schools.
In order to complete the online biochemistry degree, the students must complete organic chemistry and biochemistry lab courses in person. The in-person lab courses provide the students with unique and invaluable hands-on laboratory experiences. Many students use these lab experiences to position themselves as strong candidates for graduate programs in the sciences or health professions, in particular for medical, physician assistant, dental and pharmacy schools.
The largest and most diverse unit at Arizona State University:
- Top 5 for best qualified graduates, according to Wall Street Journal
- Top 20 for humanities research, according to the National Science Foundation
- 20,000 enrolled students, 89 undergraduate majors, 134 graduate degrees and 22 interdisciplinary schools and departments
- $115 million in research expenditures
- #1 university in the nation for innovation