The program explores the social and human aspects of sustainability in the context of real-world issues. You will look at ways to solve challenges of sustainability related to the environment, economy and society and gain skills through experiential learning, research, community engagement, study abroad and leadership development. Disciplinary perspectives included in the core courses of the degree tracks include anthropology, urban planning and design, environmental economics, ethics, geography, philosophy of science, political science, sociology and other disciplines relevant to the sustainability of environmental resources and social institutions.
The BA sustainability curriculum trains you to think in terms of complex adaptive systems and resilience; management of tradeoffs; stakeholder engagement; future visioning and scenario typologies for transitioning social-ecological systems; interconnections and cascading effects between scales; and other cutting-edge frameworks to address sustainability challenges. Students in the BA select from one of the four following tracks:
- international development and sustainability
- policy and governance in sustainable systems
- society and sustainability
- sustainable urban dynamics
As a graduate in sustainability, you will not only gain an understanding of a growing and increasingly critical field but you will develop strong problem-solving, systems-thinking, stakeholder engagement and future scenario-building skills, and be prepared for the changing world. With the growing interest in sustainability within government and business sectors, you’ll be prepared for a range of career options, including consultancy, intergovernmental organizations, international development, management, policy-making and utilities.
First comprehensive degree-granting program of its kind in the country:
- Study at the nation’s #1 school of sustainability
- Create a degree tailored to your sustainability interest
- Cutting-edge sustainability research
- #1 university in the U.S. for innovation
- #2 online undergraduate degree programs in the nation
- #5 in the nation for producing the best-qualified graduates