Students will study conflict management, workplace communication, persuasion and social influence, global communication, and training and development at one of the top communication programs in the country, the Hugh Downs School of Human Communication, home to the Center for Strategic Communication. They will experience high quality courses developed by award-winning faculty, including Dr. Daniel Brouwer, recipient of a Master Teacher Award from the Western States Communication Association, Dr. Pauline Cheong, recipient of the Zebulon Pearce Teaching Award and the Outstanding Faculty Mentor Award at ASU, and Dr. Jess Alberts who was named a President’s Professor in honor of her contributions to undergraduate and graduate teaching.
The master’s degree program will include interactive lecture and seminar videos; special seminar resources featuring nationally and internationally recognized scholars in workplace communication topics, and a capstone experience that allows students to tailor a project to their interests, needs, and goals. They also will have the opportunity to earn a certificate in Conflict Management and/or Civil Dialogue.
The online communication degree will be attractive to students who are looking to enhance their performance and success as corporate managers, communication consultants, human resource specialists, marketing managers, public relations specialists, funding raisers, and sales managers. The Master of Arts in Communication will also be valuable to students planning to pursue careers in law, post-secondary education, and nonprofit leadership and development.
The largest and most diverse unit at Arizona State University:
- Top 5 for best qualified graduates, according to Wall Street Journal
- Top 20 for humanities research, according to the National Science Foundation
- 20,000 enrolled students, 89 undergraduate majors, 134 graduate degrees and 22 interdisciplinary schools and departments
- $115 million in research expenditures
- #1 university in the nation for innovation
- Graduates of the Hugh Downs School have enjoyed success as a 2015 MacArthur Genius Award winner, professional golfer and winner of the 2017 PGA Farmers Insurance Open, Director of Cultural Diversity at the University of Witswatersand, Director of Diversity at the University of Kentucky and CEO of CM Communication International, a communication consulting firm in Phoenix, Arizona.