Can I attend ASU Online as an undecided student?
Yes, you’re able to start your academic journey online at Arizona State University as an undecided student; someone who’s enrolled and taking courses but has not yet declared their major.
However, there’s no undecided or undeclared degree for students. So if taking this route, you’ll need to start your studies on one of four exploratory tracks offered to ASU Online students:
- Health and life sciences
- Humanities, fine arts and design
- Math, physical sciences, engineering and technology
- Social and behavioral sciences
Each exploratory track focuses on a general academic theme. Ideally, you’ll want to have some idea of the major you’ll eventually declare and pick an exploratory path that best fits. This will help you stay on track to graduating in four years.
You’ll then need to declare a major no later than after the completion of 45 credit hours. You’ll have a lot of options to choose from when the time comes. ASU Online offers more than 150 undergraduate programs in topics ranging from STEM to social and behavioral sciences to engineering and more.
Whichever degree program you choose, know you’re learning from one of the highest-ranked schools in the nation. ASU ranks in the Top 10 for best online bachelor's programs by U.S. News & World Report, 2023. Additionally, ASU ranks #1 for best online bachelor's in business programs and top 5 for best online bachelor's in psychology programs. And all our online programs are led by the same world-class faculty as our in-person courses.
Tips on finding the right degree and career for you
Wondering what the best major is for an undecided student? Looking for inspiration to find the right career? Here are a few options to start with:
- Check out me3, our interactive major and career quiz. It takes about 15 minutes total to play the game, choose careers that best fit your interests and passions, then chart a pathway to those careers to find the best degree for you.
- Explore the nine different areas of study offered by ASU Online, each with a number of degrees offered within.
- Talk to your enrollment coach after you’re assigned one. They possess a deep knowledge of the degree options available to you. When seeking their advice, consider questions such as the ones below. These will help you and your enrollment coach pick a degree that best suits your desired career path:
- What classes have you most enjoyed in high school or so far in college?
- Looking back on past accomplishments, what skills did you use to accomplish those? Could those skills be utilized in a potential career?
- Do you have a preference for working in the public or private sector? For-profit or non-profit organizations? Does working remotely or in the field appeal to you or would you prefer a more traditional 9-5 job in an office setting?
What are the best majors for undecided students?
Ultimately, the best major for you is one that fits your interests and passions. But if you’ve checked out the tips above and still aren’t sure what major is best for you, consider degrees that equip you with the skills to fill in-demand jobs.
- The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics expects occupations in STEM fields to increase nearly 11% between 2022 and 2032.
- Business majors are always in high demand since their skill sets are applicable across a wide variety of industries and roles. ASU Online offers more than 50 undergraduate business degrees.
And be confident knowing you’re earning a business degree that’s well respected: ASU ranks #1 for best online bachelor's in business programs by U.S. News & World Report, 2023.
Can I get a scholarship or financial aid as an undecided major?
Yes, undecided students can get financial aid the same as students who declare a major upon enrollment.
Got questions? We’re here to help. Get the details on financial aid, including how to file your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), scholarship opportunities and more.
What you can expect from ASU Online
Whatever path you decide to take, know we’ll be there to support you every step of the way, from enrollment to graduation and beyond.
- You’ll be equipped with a suite of personalized, premier student services. This includes a dedicated support coach, wellness programs, time management coaching, counseling services, tech resources and more.
- Learn on a schedule that works for you. ASU Online offers multiple start dates each session for most courses.
- Be confident knowing your online degree carries the same weight and respect as those of our campus programs because it was designed using the same curriculum and is taught by the same world-renowned faculty. And Arizona State University’s diplomas don’t specify whether you earn your degree online or in person. All diplomas and transcripts simply say “Arizona State University.”
- Though ASU Online learners are spread across the world, you’ll have the opportunity to connect with each other via Slack, social media groups and more.