Online Master of Science in Engineering in Sustainable Engineering
Which degree are you most interested in?
The online Master of Science in Engineering (MSE) in Sustainable Engineering is a multidisciplinary graduate program ideal for professionals and graduate level students with engineering and physical science backgrounds who wish to design a flexible, online, individualized plan of study.
The goal of sustainable engineering is to enable long-lasting improvement of the human condition. The online masters in sustainable engineering program transcends traditional engineering education by integrating considerations of complex social, environmental, political, and economic factors into engineering theory and practice in order to achieve more economically, technically, environmentally, institutionally and socially efficient and robust solutions. It enables you to create elegant and efficient engineering solutions for your clients and your organizations
In this online program you’ll develop:
- Multidisciplinary expertise so you can better understand and work with complex engineering and technological systems
- Knowledge of core sustainable engineering principles
- Expertise in natural and man-made system modeling, dynamics and adaptive behavior
- A working knowledge of key environmental and social considerations, and how they can be integrated into technology design
- Skill in using essential tools such as life cycle assessment and design for sustainability
- The technical and communication skills necessary to understand and explain to others the sustainability implications of engineered systems.
Topic areas include earth systems engineering and management, industrial ecology, life cycle assessment, environmental technologies, energy systems and conservation, green construction practices, water systems, transportation systems, and sustainable technology systems.
Top 25% of all accredited engineering programs in the nation
- ASU #2 for online undergraduate degree programs in the nation
- ASU #5 university in the nation for producing the best qualified graduates
- #8 engineering online programs for veterans (2019)
- #9 engineering online graduate programs (2019)
- #38 engineering undergraduate program - 22nd among public institutions
- #44 graduate program - 24th among public institutions
- 60 engineering student organizations and student professional societies give students leadership opportunities and hands-on experience
- Fulton Schools' 22,000+ students represent 135 countries, all 50 states, Washington, D.C., Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Ira A. Fulton offers a wide range of degree options. Students are engineers from day one–they don’t have to wait until they are juniors to be engineers.
- CEE 581 Advanced Earth Systems Engineering and Management (3)
- CEE 582 Industrial Ecology (3)
- CEE 598 Fundamentals of Sustainable Energy Systems (3)
- IEE 556 Introduction to Systems Engineering
- Earth Systems and Industrial Ecology
- Infrastructure Systems
- Green Buildings and Construction Practices
- Global Technology and Policy
IEE 534 Supply Chain Modeling/Analysis (3)
IEE 581 Six Sigma Methodology (3)
IEE 556 Introduction to Systems Engineering (3)
According to U.S. News & World Report, Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering undergraduate degree programs are ranked in the top 25% percent of programs. Of the 320+ faculty members, the majority have been honored with the highest awards in their fields. Faculty milestones include:
- Nobel Laureate
- National Academy of Engineering members
- National Academy of Sciences members
- National Academy of Inventors members
- National Academy of Construction members
- More than 55 young investigator awards received in the last 10 years.
Graduates with an ASU Online Master of Science in Sustainable Engineering have career opportunities illustrated in the following list. Career examples include but are not limited to:
Applicants must fulfill the requirements of both the Graduate College and the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering.
Applicants are eligible to apply to the program if they have earned a bachelor's degree or master's degree in engineering or a closely related field from a regionally accredited institution.
Applicants must have a minimum of a 3.00 cumulative GPA (scale is 4.00 = "A") in the last 60 hours of a student's first bachelor's degree program, or applicants must have a minimum of 3.00 cumulative GPA (scale is 4.00 = "A") in an applicable master's degree program.
All applicants must submit:
- Graduate admission application and application fee
- Official transcripts
- GRE scores
- Letters of recommendation
- Proof of English language proficiency
Additional Application Information
An applicant whose native language is not English (regardless of current residency) must provide proof of English proficiency.
Students with a degree in civil engineering, environmental engineering, construction engineering, mechanical engineering or with an engineering degree other than these listed may be admitted, with deficiencies as identified by the sustainable engineering faculty, if appropriate. If the applicant does not have an undergraduate degree in any of these programs, additional requirements may be necessary based upon the applicant's background, including sufficient courses in physics, chemistry or biology, and mathematics (that include but are not limited to calculus, differential equations and linear algebra). A faculty committee will determine which required courses are needed on a case-by-case basis.