The Master of Liberal Studies is purposefully designed to move beyond the narrow confines of a single academic discipline. Instead of looking at the world through the limited lens of one discipline, the MLSt closely matches the broader way we as adults learn on a daily basis; it provides us with many different ways to understand the world.
The program includes two core seminars that explore transdisciplinary approaches to problems and issues articulated by the study of individuals in society. Areas of emphasis within the program include gender, religion, and culture; science, nature, and creative nonfiction writing; and borders, migration, health, and cultural identity. Graduates come away with an expanded understanding of the world and with research and writing skills that are applicable to nearly all professions.
The largest and most diverse unit at Arizona State University:
- The largest and most diverse unit at Arizona State University:
- Top 5 for best qualified graduates, according to Wall Street Journal
- Top 20 for humanities research, according to the National Science Foundation
- 20,000 enrolled students, 89 undergraduate majors, 134 graduate degrees and 22 interdisciplinary schools and departments
- $115 million in research expenditures
- #1 university in the nation for innovation