The MAS in American Media and Popular Culture will equip you with the analytic, creative and communication skills needed to interpret and create media texts and to become critical consumers of media, creative industry professionals, and rigorous scholars of media texts and culture. The program consists of nine credit hours of core courses, 18 credit hours of electives and a three-credit applied project.
While the media arts have traditionally been studied as independent disciplines, our program provides a more comprehensive approach that views them as convergent. We recognize the importance of understanding the history of film as an art form, for instance, but also the need to view it in relation to television and digital media. We are committed to integrating the study of such media convergence into our curriculum, both as units within courses and through the design of new courses entirely devoted to that phenomenon.
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences is the largest and most diverse unit at Arizona State University:
- Top 5 for best qualified graduates, according to Wall Street Journal
- Top 20 for humanities research, according to the National Science Foundation
- 20,000 enrolled students, 89 undergraduate majors, 134 graduate degrees and 22 interdisciplinary schools and departments
- $115 million in research expenditures
- #1 university in the nation for innovation