Students in the online MS in Digital Audience Strategy learn strategies and tactics to grow audiences through audience-first digital content that leverages search engine optimization, search engine marketing, audience research, and paid and organic social media campaigns. Students work with real-world clients to analyze content performance, and develop, test and execute audience growth strategies in real time.
Through required coursework in ethics, media law and entrepreneurship, students learn to make ethical business decisions regarding consumer privacy, digital data security and community engagement. Through elective courses, students develop additional expertise in areas such as management and intellectual property. Students graduate from the program ready to drive innovation and business development in the digital age.
Organizations in both the public and private sectors have a critical and growing need to connect with audiences on digital and social media. Corporations, advocacy groups, entrepreneurs, government agencies, community groups, news organizations and nonprofits all need professionals who understand how to reach large online audiences with content in order to increase sales, advertising, donations, political support and community cohesion. The expertise required to leverage online audiences includes training in multimedia content creation, social science research, real-time data analysis, digital audience behavior, ethics, law, entrepreneurship, leadership, project management, writing and public speaking.
The Cronkite School's online Master of Science in Digital Audience Strategy blends all of these disciplines to prepare students to be leaders in digital audience growth and innovation.
Economic data suggest there is high demand for graduates with these skills. There were approximately 173,000 average monthly postings for related jobs in the past year, according to ASU's Emsi economic modeling tool. For every three unique job postings, there was only one hire -- underscoring unsatisfied market demand.
Companies posting these jobs ranged from Oracle Corporation and Accenture to Facebook and Google. The need for these skills is especially acute in the media industry. In research published by the Tow-Knight Foundation in 2016, news organizations identified audience development and data as one of the most sought-after skill sets for entry-level employees.
The rapid development of the digital audience strategy field means that there are few veteran digital audience specialists prepared to lead teams and manage sophisticated digital audience strategies – intensifying the need for a graduate-level program.
This program is limited to students who do not have an undergraduate degree or minor in digital audiences.
- For over 15 years, the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication has earned the best record (96 awards) in the Society of Professional Journalists' national "Mark of Excellence" competition
- Cronkite reigns first in the nation for record-breaking Hearst Journalism Awards (the Pulitzer Prizes of college journalism).
- Cronkite has the best record of any journalism school for the international Robert F. Kennedy Journalism Award for reporting on social justice issues.
- Based on student work around video journalism, Cronkite won the very first Edward R. Murrow Award.
- Cronkite has earned more awards of any school in the nation from the Broadcast Education Association's Festival of Media Arts.
- Recognized a top leading journalism school in the country by New York Times, USA Today, U.S. News & World Report, the American Journalism Review and The Times of London.