What are the benefits to studying abroad?
By studying abroad, ASU Online students have the opportunity to develop a global perspective in your field of study, gain a sense of direction and purpose for your future career, and begin to build a network of professional contacts around the world. Potential employers value the skills students gain abroad such as critical thinking, problem solving, flexibility, adaptability, confidence, and other cultural competencies.
How expensive is it to study abroad?
Financial aid, including many ASU and non-ASU scholarships, can be applied towards ASU-sponsored study abroad programs. More information on study abroad grants and scholarships is available online as well as ideas on how to generate community-based funding. You can learn more about funding options by participating in an online Financing your Study Abroad Workshop that occurs every month through the academic year.
Can any ASU Online degree student study abroad?
Because ASU offers so many study abroad programs in so many different locations, this allows for a wide range of coursework to suit your academic needs. Plan early and talk to your academic advisor about the best time to study abroad as an ASU Online student. Learn about our different program offerings through this short video.
Which study abroad programs have ASU Online students successfully participated in through the Study Abroad Office?
- Counter-Terrorism in Israel, summer program, faculty-directed program
- Adventures in Culture, Health, and Environment in New Zealand, summer program, faculty-directed program
- Adventures in Culture, Health and Environment in Fiji, summer program, faculty-directed
- Medieval and Renaissance Studies in Oxford, summer program, faculty-directed
- Spanish Language and Mayan Culture in Yucatan, summer program, faculty-directed
- ISA: International Studies, Business, and Culture at the Autonomous University of Barcelona, semester program
- Film in Rome, summer program
- And more...
What kind of credit do students receive from a study abroad experience?
Participants in any study abroad program will earn ASU “resident” credit and grades for courses completed on the program. Read more about Credits & Grades.
Do ASU Online students have to know a foreign language to study abroad?
Coursework taught in English is available in most regions of the world.
Are there opportunities for ASU Online students to complete internships abroad?
Some study abroad programs combine coursework with internship placements that earn academic credit, including:
- China English-Speaking Internship and Study Abroad, summer program, faculty-directed
- Dublin, Ireland Internship and Study Abroad Program, summer program, faculty-directed
- Italy English-Speaking Internship and Study Abroad Program in Milan and Florence, summer program, faculty-directed
- Medicine and Veterinary Care English-Speaking Internship in Nicaragua, summer program, faculty directed
- For a full listing of study abroad and internship opportunities, click here.
How to Search Study Abroad Programs
You can search for programs in a variety of ways:
- Simple search: For students narrowing down their options by program name, term, city, country, and/or region.
- Advanced search: For students who want to identify programs that offer a particular area of study or program sponsored by a particular ASU College, Department, or School. You can utilize several filters at once for a more targeted result.
- Course search: Ideal for students who have specific ASU courses to complete abroad.
- Map search: Best suited for those who want to browse programs by region, then country.
How do I contact the Study Abroad Office?
- Visit our website at http://mystudyabroad.asu.edu
- Live Chat with us from our website any time Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. MST
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow us on social media and read our blog: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, Blog
- Give us a call at (480) 965-5965. Advising is available by phone, in-person or via Skype