The program also caters to those in social work or other related fields who are looking for specialized skills in criminal sentencing. The curriculum focuses on information needed for practice as pre-sentence investigators, sentencing advocates, liaisons or consultants to problem-solving courts, and as mitigation specialists in felony, parole and death penalty cases.
As a student, you will be introduced to various court processes, principles of justice, sentencing schemes, and best practices for writing reports and assessing offenders. You will learn investigation methods and the ethical standards that apply in the cases of neutrals (probation officers), expert witnesses, mitigation specialists, and sentencing advocates. You will also learn how to perform accurate assessments and examine best practices for managing various categories of offenders.
The electives offered in this certificate program allow for various levels of specialization, including specialized knowledge and training as mitigation specialists, as victim advocates, and as probation officers.
- Home to ASU’s most diverse student body —and the largest community of first-generation college students.
- #1 university in the U.S. for innovation
- Top 10 in the nation for employability
- Named a prestigious global university
- #4 university in the country for online undergraduate degree programs